Our Leaders in Training (LIT) program is for students ages 13-18 who have a desire to volunteer at New Life Camp during the year, and who may also be interested in serving on our summer staff in future years.
- Registration opens: October 8. Click here to register.
- Deadline to Register: February 21
- Application, Manual, and Test Posted Online: March 3
- Deadline to Complete Application, Manual, and Test: March 27
- LIT Week Assignments emailed to applicants: April 22
- LIT Orientation: Sunday, May 17 @ 3-8 pm
Application, Manual, and Test
- Will be posted here on March 3, 2020
Process for Becoming an LIT
- The applicant must be 13 years or older by June 1, 2020.
- Register online for LIT Orientation – even if you attended LIT Training in the past, you are required to attend again to participate each year.
- Read LIT Manual after it is posted on March 3.
- Complete LIT Application and Test by March 27.
- NLC staff will evaluate all applications.
- NLC will email those who will not be used for the summer of 2020 on April 22.
- NLC will email those who will be asked to volunteer for the summer of 2020 on April 22.
- NLC will contact LITs the week prior to their assigned week in order to confirm.
- If LITs wait until this time to decline the week, it will affect their eligibility to be called upon in the future.
LIT Roles during Summer Camp
- Two Counselors-In-Training are assigned to each Day Camp huddle or Overnight Camp cabin during every given week of camp.
- Their job as a CIT is shadowing the counselors of that huddle/cabin, helping with supervision and group control while also building relationships with the campers and serving as a role model.
- Overnight Camp CIT: Sunday @ 3:30 pm – Friday @ 6:30 pm
- Day Camp CIT: Monday-Thursday @ 8 am – 5 pm, Friday @ 8 am – 6:30 pm
- Program-Staff-In-Training are assigned to help with different Program Staff roles during a given week. Their role is to shadow a Program Staff, helping with a variety of jobs such as facilitating games and electives, cleaning, and supervision.
- PSITs are generally assigned a huddle/cabin to be with when they have time, so that they also have the opportunity to build relationships with individual campers outside of their job times.
- Hours: Overnight position, Sunday @ 3:30 pm – Friday @ 6:30 pm
- Kitchen-Staff-In-Training are assigned to shadow the kitchen staff by helping with meal preparation and setup (4 meals/day = lots of prep!).
- Hours: Daytime position, does not spend the night. Monday-Thursday @ 8 am – 4 pm
LIT Roles Throughout the Year
Summer Camp LIT’s also have the opportunity to volunteer for events through the academic year such as SN@C and retreats. We will be in contact with those opportunities after Summer Camp.
You’re welcome to contact us!