Academic Instructors’ Bios/Contacts 2018-2019
English: Writing, Grammar, and Literature
- Chuck Bounds
- Teaches: Home Maintenance
- Christian camping played an important role in Chuck’s early years as a camper and counselor at Camp Victory in Alabama. Chuck serves on the facilities team at New Life Camp. He has a background in construction work in the areas of carpentry, cabinet making/woodworking, painting, plumbing, and electrician work. He has certifications in carpentry, cabinet making, and electrical from Reid Technical College in Evergreen, Alabama, a BA degree in Theology from the Baptist College of Florida, and an M.Div. w/ Christian Education Degree from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC. Hobbies and areas of interest: Woodworking, Art, Fishing, Motorcycles.
- Amanda Creasman
- Teaches: Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1
- Amanda Creasman has a BS in Elementary Education with a concentration in Mathematics from Appalachian State University. Amanda is certified in Elementary Education and Middle Grades Mathematics. She worked as a Wake County Public School teacher for the last 5 years. In October of 2016, Amanda and her husband adopted a baby, and Amanda became a stay at home mom! This will be her second year as an instructor for the L.E.A.R.N. program.
- Chrissy Curry
- Teaches: General Science, Physical Science
- Chrissy received her B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering at Messiah College and her M.S. in Aerospace Engineering at NC State University. Prior to motherhood, she worked for 5 years at Applied Research Associates in Raleigh, NC, where she developed physics-based mission planning software for the US Military. Chrissy is privileged to be able to homeschool her three children. Her family is part of the Classical Conversations community where she also serves as a foundations tutor. From a very early age, Chrissy developed a love of learning from her father. Her goal is to develop that same passion for learning and discovery in her students.
- Carmen Dean
- Teaches: Spanish I, Spanish II
- Carmen Dean is a native Spanish speaker born in Bolivia, South America. After teaching Spanish levels 1 through the AP level and serving as the Department Chair of the Foreign Language Department for 6 years in a private Christian school, Carmen returned to the homeschool community and taught Spanish 1, 2, and 3 at New Life Camp. Carmen previously taught high school Spanish classes in her home to homeschool students while homeschooling her own children. She also taught ADD, ADHD students as well as students with other learning differences at the Trilogy School of Raleigh. Carmen has a B.S. degree in Psychology from NCSU.
- Jon Hughes
- Teaches: Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus
- Jon Hughes has a BS in Business Management from NC State University and an MDIV in Christian Counseling from SEBTS. He has been teaching math since 2001, and specifically to homeschoolers since 2009 at NLC.
- Linda Lupien
- Teaches: IEW
- Linda received a B.S. in Special Education for grades K-12 from James Madison University and a Masters in School Administration from North Carolina State University. She is also certified as a K-6 elementary educator and as a principal for K-12. She taught students with mild to severe disabilities in general education and special education settings at elementary and middle levels for over 30 years in Wake County’s public schools. She was a Bible teacher at New Life Camp while her children were campers. She is thrilled to be returning to New Life Camp in a teaching capacity. She looks forward to engaging students in their learning within the framework of Scriptural Truth.
- Nathaniel Miller
- Teaches: Middle School Grammar and Literature, Introduction to Literature
- Nathaniel Miller has served on the full-time staff of New Life Camp for over 10 years. He became the Director of L.E.A.R.N. at New Life Camp in 2011. He began teaching literature at L.E.A.R.N. in 2012. He has a great love for stories and how the truly good ones echo the true story of Christ. Nathaniel graduated from Tennessee Temple University in 2002 with a B.A. degree in Biblical Studies.
- Laurie Murphy
- Teaches: French I, French II
- Laurie Murphy has a B.A. in French from Davidson College and a PhD in French Literature from UNC-CH and studied at the Université Paul-Valéry in Montpellier, France. She began learning French at the age of five and is often mistaken for a native speaker. She studied, taught, and did Christian mission work in Montpellier and Paris, France. She taught French at UNC-CH during grad. school and was a French Professor at Peace College (now William Peace University) for 5 years where she taught French Language, Literature, History & Cinema. She loves homeschooling her own three children and has also taught French to homeschool students at NLC and in her home. She takes great joy in teaching French & Francophone culture and hopes to share with her students God’s heart for the world.
- Christina Musser
- Teaches: Biology, Chemistry
- Christina Musser has B.S. degrees in Biochemistry and Zoology and has been teaching homeschool science classes for the last 13 years. She has homeschooled her two children from kindergarten through 12th grade. Before having children, she worked for the EPA and NCSU in Biotechnology research.
- Trisha Price
- Teaches: Art
- Trisha graduated from Tennessee Temple University with a degree in Elementary Education in 2001. She taught third grade in Ohio before God called her to New Life Camp in 2003. She is thankful to God for bringing her to a place she loves to serve. She is a self taught artist that has been teaching art to various age groups for the past 15 years.
- Pedro Rosario
- Teaches: Career Assessment: Living by God’s Design
- Pedro Rosario has a undergraduate degree from Taylor University in Upland, IN and a Master’s degree from Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI. He has served for twelve years in full-time ministry with Crown Financial Ministries, five years as a Career Direct Consultant, and is Executive Director for Equipping Wise Managers. His family has attended Providence Baptist Church for over 24 years. He has been married for 30 years to Robin, has a 19 year old son Parker and 17 year old daughter Arianna.
- Elizabeth Rudd
- Teaches: Geography
- Elizabeth Rudd has an Elementary Education degree from Appalachian State University with 3 years teaching experience in Wake County Public Schools. She has served as the Day Camp Program Director at New Life Camp for the past 4 summers, with previous experience on summer staff. She is currently serving as a full time missionary through Refugee Hope Partners, a local refugee ministry, at the Cedar Point apartment complex in North Raleigh. Elizabeth is married to Josh Rudd and has a passion for sharing the gospel with children and the nations.
- Nissa Rudd
- Teaches: British Literature, World Literature
- Nissa began serving at New Life Camp day camp at age 12 and has loved her experiences working with students through the years. She loves working with children and has experience teaching and tutoring middle and high school students. She has served as instructor for British Literature and World Literature for several years. She enjoys spending time with her husband Thomas and daughters Audrey and Emily. Nissa graduated with a BA in English from Meredith College in 2008.
- Rachel Rudd
- Teaches: History through Music
- Rachel Rudd first came to camp as a camper and joined our full time staff in 2017. Working with children has been an important part of her life and she has had experience as a camp counselor, teaching music, and English. Rachel graduated from Appalachian State University with a B.A. in Music Education.
- Merriwether Steckmann
- Teaches: American Literature
- Merriwether Steckmann graduated from Christopher Newport University with a B.A. in English and a minor in Childhood Studies in 2015. She has taught Latin, preschool, as well as worked as an elementary teacher before moving to North Carolina with her husband. In her free time, she enjoys cooking, camping, walking her dog, traveling, and spending time with family. She is passionate about education and is excited for the opportunity to help students learn and grow here at L.E.A.R.N Academics!
- Kenna Walker
- Teaches: World History, US History, Speech & Debate
- Kenna Walker has a B.A. in secondary social studies education with a concentration in history from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She was a long time youth worker at North Ridge Church in Raleigh, including 23 years as a Bible quiz coach at the church, district and international level. She taught social studies (including world history) in the Wake County school system and has taught L.E.A.R.N. classes at New Life Camp since 2008.