Academic Instructors’ Bios/Contacts 2019-2020
English: Writing, Grammar, and Literature
- Bria Arline
- Teaches: American Literature
- Bria graduated from Regent University in 2015 with a degree in English and a minor in History. She loves working with children and has experience teaching and tutoring middle and high school students. In her spare time, Bria enjoys taking nature walks, spending time with loved ones, reading, writing, cooking, and eating strange food combinations.
- Beth Bass
- Teaches: Algebra I
- Beth received her BS in Applied Mathematics from NC State University and her teaching certificate from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She taught 8th grade math, Algebra I and Geometry in the Wake County Public School System before starting her family. She and her husband have homeschooled their three children since kindergarten with their oldest in college. Beth has taught a variety of homeschool classes over the years and looks forward to teaching students at New Life Camp.
- Renee Collins
- Teaches: Pre-Algebra
- Renee Collins graduated from Meredith College with a B.S. in Mathematics, a B.A. in Music, and a minor in French. Renee has had the blessing of homeschooling her three children for the past ten years. Recently, she has enjoyed leading and co-leading book clubs for upper elementary and middle grade homeschoolers. In her free time, Renee enjoys reading, handcrafts, trips to the beach, fishing, and spending time with her family.
- Chrissy Curry
- Teaches: General Science, Physical Science
- Chrissy received her B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering at Messiah College and her M.S. in Aerospace Engineering at NC State University. Prior to motherhood, she worked for 5 years at Applied Research Associates in Raleigh, NC, where she developed physics-based mission planning software for the US Military. Chrissy is privileged to be able to homeschool her three children. Her family is part of the Classical Conversations community where she also serves as a foundations tutor. From a very early age, Chrissy developed a love of learning from her father. Her goal is to develop that same passion for learning and discovery in her students.
- Linda Lupien
- Teaches: IEW
- Linda received a B.S. in Special Education for grades K-12 from James Madison University and a Masters in School Administration from North Carolina State University. She is also certified as a K-6 elementary educator and as a principal for K-12. She retired from Wake County Public Schools after 32 yrs as a Special Education teacher with a School Administrator’s license. She believes the IEW curriculum is the best writing instructional method she’s ever taught, and she trained teachers on several writing methods throughout her career in WCPSS. She easily adapts this curriculum for students with special needs.
- Nathaniel Miller
- Teaches: Introduction to Literature
- Nathaniel Miller has served on the full-time staff of New Life Camp for over 15 years. He became the Director of LEARN at New Life Camp in 2011. He began teaching literature at LEARN in 2012. He has a great love for stories and how the truly good ones echo the true story of Christ. Nathaniel graduated from Tennessee Temple University in 2002 with a B.A. degree in Biblical Studies.
- Laurie Murphy
- Teaches: French I, French II
- Laurie Murphy has a B.A. in French from Davidson College and a PhD in French Literature from UNC-CH and studied at the Université Paul-Valéry in Montpellier, France. She began learning French at the age of five and is often mistaken for a native speaker. She studied, taught, and did Christian mission work in Montpellier and Paris, France. She taught French at UNC-CH during grad. school and was a French Professor at Peace College (now William Peace University) for 5 years where she taught French Language, Literature, History & Cinema. She loves homeschooling her own three children and has also taught French to homeschool students at NLC and in her home. She takes great joy in teaching French & Francophone culture and hopes to share with her students God’s heart for the world.
- Christina Musser
- Teaches: Biology, Chemistry
- Christina Musser has B.S. degrees in Biochemistry and Zoology and has been teaching homeschool science classes for the last 14 years. She has homeschooled her two children from kindergarten through 12th grade. Before having children, she worked for the EPA and NCSU in Biotechnology research. She has a passion for quality science teaching that incorporates Creation Science and Intelligent Design information showing students they can both stand on God’s word and be good scientists.
- Denise Myers
- Teaches: Digital Photography
- While trained as an Electrical Engineer, Denise Myers began her professional career as a computer programmer and project manager at IBM then took time out to be home with her kids. As an at home mom, she took her professional skills into the volunteer work force her children’s school serving as a substitute teacher, volunteer photographer, and coach of multiple sports. Her love for photography began in high school and as her kids grew up, she became ready to go back to work part time, so in 2005, she started her own free lance photography company, 1 Impression 2 Remember. In 2008, she combined everything that she had learned about photography, teaching, and coaching to write Capture to Create, a digital photography curriculum that teaching both the art and science of photography. She has been teaching photography since 2009 at Trinity Academy, New Life Camp, and/or Sertoma Art Center.
- Martha Phillips
- Teaches: Spanish I
- Martha was raised in a bilingual home and thanks to her parents, can switch from Puerto Rican Spanish to southern English at the drop of a hat! She has lived in Puerto Rico and Mexico, and as a military brat, many places in between. Martha decided at the age of 6 that she would be a teacher or a missionary. For the past 12 years, God has given her the opportunity to combine both passions, teaching missionaries as an adjunctive instructor at the College at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC. She has also taught at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and Guilford College. Martha has a B.A. in Secondary Education and an M.A. in Spanish American Literature from UNC-Chapel Hill. Her experience is not limited to the collegiate level. Martha has taught Spanish in high school and middle school, ESL from the preschool to the adult level, and has homeschooled her three delightful daughters for the past 18 years. She also is blessed to share her life with Bill, her husband of 27 years.
- Pedro Rosario
- Teaches: Career Assessment: Living by God’s Design
- Pedro Rosario has a undergraduate degree from Taylor University in Upland, IN and a Master’s degree from Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI. He has served for 15 years in full-time ministry with Crown Financial Ministries, 8 years as a Career Direct Consultant, and is Executive Director for Equipping Wise Managers. His family has attended Providence Baptist Church for over 27 years. He has been married for 30 years to Robin, has a 20 year old son Parker and 18 year old daughter Arianna.
- Elizabeth Rudd
- Teaches: Geography
- Elizabeth Rudd has an Elementary Education degree from Appalachian State University with 3 years teaching experience in Wake County Public Schools. She has served as the Day Camp Program Director at New Life Camp for the past 4 summers, with previous experience on summer staff. She is currently serving as a full time missionary through Refugee Hope Partners, a local refugee ministry, at the Cedar Point apartment complex in North Raleigh. Elizabeth is married to Josh Rudd and has a passion for sharing the gospel with children and the nations.
- Nissa Rudd
- Teaches: British Literature
- Nissa began serving at New Life Camp day camp at age 12 and has loved her experiences working with students through the years. She loves working with children and has experience teaching and tutoring middle and high school students. She has served as instructor for British Literature and World Literature for several years. She enjoys spending time with her husband Thomas and daughters Audrey and Emily. Nissa graduated with a BA in English from Meredith College in 2008.
- Leigh Ann Steeber
- Teaches: Biblical Personal Finance
- Leigh Ann graduated in 1998 from Wichita State University with a B.A. in psychology/sociology with a emphasis in business. Before her career as a home-school mom, she worked as an office manager specializing in AR/AP and payroll. She is a self-described “bean-counter”. The past 5 years she has been a youth bible study and children’s Sunday school teacher. She and her best friend Eric are debt-free and have been married for 18years.
- Kenna Walker
- Teaches: US History, Speech & Debate
- Kenna Walker has a B.A. in secondary social studies education with a concentration in history from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She was a long time youth worker at North Ridge Church in Raleigh, including 23 years as a Bible quiz coach at the church, district and international level. She taught social studies (including world history) in the Wake County school system and has taught LEARN classes at New Life Camp since 2008.