Academic Instructors’ Bios/Contacts 2017-2018
- Chuck Bounds
- Teaches: Home Maintenance
- Christian camping played an important role in Chuck’s early years as a camper and counselor at Camp Victory in Alabama. Chuck is the Director of Facilities at NLC. He has a background in construction work in the areas of carpentry, cabinet making/woodworking, painting, plumbing, and electrician work. He has certifications in carpentry, cabinet making, and electrical from Reid Technical College in Evergreen, Alabama, a BA degree in Theology from the Baptist College of Florida, and an M.Div. w/ Christian Education Degree from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC. Hobbies and areas of interest: Woodworking, Art, Fishing, Motorcycles.
- Amanda Creasman
- Teaches: Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1
- Amanda Creasman has a BS in Elementary Education with a concentration in Mathematics from Appalachian State University. Amanda is certified in Elementary Education and Middle Grades Mathematics. She worked as a Wake County Public School teacher for the last 5 years. In October of 2016, Amanda and her husband adopted a baby and Amanda became a stay at home mom! She is looking forward to getting back into the classroom this year as an instructor for the L.E.A.R.N program.
- Chrissy Curry
- Teaches: General Science, Physical Science
- Chrissy received her B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering at Messiah College and her M.S. in Aerospace Engineering at NC State University. Prior to motherhood, she worked for 5 years at Applied Research Associates in Raleigh, NC, where she developed physics-based mission planning software for the US Military. Chrissy has been homeschooling her three children for the past 4 years. Her family is part of the Classical Conversations community where she also serves as a foundations tutor. From a very early age, Chrissy developed a love of learning from her father. Her goal is to develop that same passion for learning and discovery in her students.
- Carmen Dean
- Teaches: Spanish I, Spanish II
- Carmen Dean is a native Spanish speaker born in Bolivia, South America. After teaching Spanish levels 1 through the AP level and serving as the Department Chair of the Foreign Language Department for 6 years in a private Christian school, Carmen returned to the homeschool community and taught Spanish 1, 2, and 3 at New Life Camp. Carmen previously taught high school Spanish classes in her home to homeschool students while homeschooling her own children. She also taught ADD, ADHD students as well as students with other learning differences at the Trilogy School of Raleigh. Carmen has a B.S. degree in Psychology from NCSU.
- Jon Hughes
- Teaches: Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus
- Jon Hughes has a BS in Business Management from NC State University and an MDIV in Christian Counseling from SEBTS. He has been teaching math since 2001, and specifically to homeschoolers since 2009 at NLC.
- Joanna Kaswarra
- Teaches: Geography
- Joanna Kaswarra has an undergraduate degree in Elementary Education from North Greenville University and her certification from Wake Tech to teach adults and children English as a Second Language. After serving 11 years in the Wake County Public School System as a classroom teacher, the Lord has moved her heart to be more engaged in the community around her church and in the New Life homeschooling community. She is married to Bernard, has chickens, and LOVES the outdoors!
- Nathaniel Miller
- Teaches: Middle School English, Introduction to Literature
- Nathaniel Miller has served on the full-time staff of New Life Camp for over 10 years. He became the Director of L.E.A.R.N. at New Life Camp in 2011. He has a great love for stories and how the truly good ones echo the true story of Christ. This will be his sixth year as an instructor for Introduction to Literature and first year for Middle School English. Nathaniel graduated from Tennessee Temple University in 2002 with a B.A. degree in Biblical Studies.
- Christina Musser
- Teaches: Biology, Chemistry
- Christina Musser has B.S. degrees in Biochemistry and Zoology and has been teaching homeschool science classes for the last 12 years. She has homeschooled her two children from kindergarten through 12th grade. Before having children, she worked for the EPA and NCSU in Biotechnology research.
- Trisha Price
- Teaches: Art
- Trisha graduated from Tennessee Temple University with a degree in Elementary Education in 2001. She taught third grade in Ohio for two years. God called her to New Life Camp in 2003, joining the full time staff in 2004. She is thankful to God for bringing her to a place she loves to serve. Having studied art for a year at the University of Cincinnati, she instructs art in our L.E.A.R.N. program. She has been teaching these activities since joining the staff.
- Pedro Rosario
- Teaches: Career Assessment: Living by God’s Design
- Pedro Rosario has a undergraduate degree from Taylor University in Upland, IN and a Master’s degree from Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI. He has served for twelve years in full-time ministry with Crown Financial Ministries, five years as a Career Direct Consultant, and is Executive Director for Equipping Wise Managers. His family has attended Providence Baptist Church for over 22 years. He has been married for 28 years to Robin, has a 17 year old son Parker and 15 year old daughter Arianna.
- Nissa Rudd
- Teaches: British Literature, World Literature
- Nissa Rudd began serving at New Life Camp day camp at age 12 and has loved her experiences working with students through the years. She loves working with children and has experience teaching and tutoring middle and high school students. She has served as instructor for Middle School English, British Literature, and World Literature for several years. She enjoys spending time with her husband Thomas and daughters Audrey and Emily. Nissa graduated with a BA in English from Meredith College in 2008.
- Kenna Walker
- Teaches: World History, US History, Speech & Debate
- Kenna Walker has a B.A. in secondary social studies education with a concentration in history from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She was a long time youth worker at North Ridge Church in Raleigh, including 23 years as a Bible quiz coach at the church, district and international level. She taught social studies (including world history) in the Wake County school system and has taught L.E.A.R.N. classes at New Life Camp since 2008.