Academic Instructors’ Bios/Contacts 2016-2017
- Chrissy Curry
- Teaches: General Science, Physical Science
- Chrissy received her B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering at Messiah College and her M.S. in Aerospace Engineering at NC State University. Prior to motherhood, she worked for 5 years at Applied Research Associates in Raleigh, NC, where she developed physics-based mission planning software for the US Military. Chrissy has been homeschooling her three children for the past 4 years. Her family is part of the Classical Conversations community where she also serves as a foundations tutor. From a very early age, Chrissy developed a love of learning from her father. Her goal is to develop that same passion for learning and discovery in her students.
- Carmen Dean
- Teaches: Spanish I, Spanish II
- Carmen Dean is a native Spanish speaker born in Bolivia, South America. After teaching Spanish levels 1 through the AP level and serving as the Department Chair of the Foreign Language Department for 6 years in a private Christian school, Carmen returned to the homeschool community and taught Spanish 1, 2, and 3 at New Life Camp. Carmen previously taught high school Spanish classes in her home to homeschool students while homeschooling her own children. She also taught ADD, ADHD students as well as students with other learning differences at the Trilogy School of Raleigh. Carmen has a B.S. degree in Psychology from NCSU.
- Andrew Griffith
- Teaches: American Literature, Geography
- Andrew Griffith has an undergraduate degree in International Business from Union University and is currently completing his M.Div. at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. After college, he served as a missionary in Southeast Asia for two years. He also recently married Ms. Amy Scheffel (now Griffith!) and serves the refugee community at Cedar Point Apartments. Andrew is an avid reader, and especially enjoys Robert Frost, G.K. Chesterton, Wendell Berry, Charles Dickens, R.S. Thomas, and Rudyard Kipling.
- Jon Hughes
- Teaches: Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus
- Jon Hughes has a BS in Business Management from NC State University and an MDIV in Christian Counseling from SEBTS. He has been teaching math since 2001, and specifically to homeschoolers since 2009 at NLC.
- Kip Lowery
- Teaches: Pre-Algebra, Algebra I
- Kip Lowery has an undergraduate degree from UC San Diego in Biochemistry and Cell Biology, and has worked as a scientist in the biotechnology field since 1992. Kip’s love of math and science was nurtured during high school by a few great teachers, and it is his desire to help other students in the same way. His family has home-schooled for 13 years, and he has tutored Algebra 1 and 2 for Classical Conversations, as well as substituted in Challenge 1. This will be Kip’s third year teaching at New Life Camp.
- Nathaniel Miller
- Teaches: Introduction to Literature
- Nathaniel Miller has served on the full-time staff of New Life Camp for over 10 years. He has spent many of those years teaching younger students various activities, such as soccer, basketball, chess, physical fitness, and stories. He became the Director of L.E.A.R.N. (formerly Homeschool Enrichment) at New Life Camp in 2011. This will be his fifth year as an instructor for Introduction to Literature. Nathaniel graduated from Tennessee Temple University in 2002 with a B.A. degree in Biblical Studies.
- Christina Musser
- Teaches: Biology, Chemistry
- Christina Musser has B.S. degrees in Biochemistry and Zoology and has been teaching homeschool science classes for the last 11 years. She has homeschooled her two children from kindergarten through 12th grade. Before having children, she worked for the EPA and NCSU in Biotechnology research.
- Denise Myers
- Teaches: Digital Photography
- While trained as an Electrical Engineer, Denise Myers began her professional career as a computer programmer and Project manager at IBM then took time out to be home with her kids. As an at home mom, she took her professional skills into the volunteer work force at Trinity Academy, serving as PATT (Parents And Teachers at Trinity) president, soccer and volleyball coach, and volunteer photographer and also at her church as Head Teacher of the K-2 and 3-5 Children’s Church program. Her love for photography began in high school and as her kids grew up, she became ready to go back to work part time, so she started her own company 1 Impression 2 Remember in 2005 as a free lance photographer both selling fine art note cards and as photographer for hire. In 2009, she combined everything that she had learned through photography, teaching and coaching together, wrote and taught her own Digital Photography Course at Trinity Academy of Raleigh and brought this course to New Life Camp’s Home School Enrichment program in the fall of 2011.
- Trisha Price
- Teaches: Art
- Trisha graduated from Tennessee Temple University with a degree in Elementary Education in 2001. She taught third grade in Ohio for two years. God called her to New Life Camp in 2003, joining the full time staff in 2004. She is thankful to God for bringing her to a place she loves to serve. Having studied art for a year at the University of Cincinnati, she instructs art in our L.E.A.R.N. program. She has been teaching these activities since joining the staff.
- Pedro Rosario
- Teaches: Career Assessment: Living by God’s Design
- Pedro Rosario has a undergraduate degree from Taylor University in Upland, IN and a Master’s degree from Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI. He has served for twelve years in full-time ministry with Crown Financial Ministries, five years as a Career Direct Consultant, and is Executive Director for Equipping Wise Managers. His family has attended Providence Baptist Church for over 22 years. He has been married for 28 years to Robin, has a 17 year old son Parker and 15 year old daughter Arianna.
- Nissa Rudd
- Teaches: Middle School English I, Middle School English II, British Literature, World Literature
- Nissa Rudd began serving at New Life Camp day camp at age 12 and has loved her experiences working with students through the years. She loves working with children and has experience teaching and tutoring middle and high school students. She has served as instructor for Middle School English, British Literature, and World Literature for several years. She enjoys spending time with her husband Thomas and daughters Audrey and Emily. Nissa graduated with a BA in English from Meredith College in 2008.
- Kenna Walker
- Teaches: Middle School American History, World History, US History, Speech & Debate
- Kenna Walker has a B.A. in secondary social studies education with a concentration in history from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She was a long time youth worker at North Ridge Church in Raleigh, including 23 years as a Bible quiz coach at the church, district and international level. She taught social studies (including world history) in the Wake County school system and has taught L.E.A.R.N. classes at New Life Camp since 2008.