- Instructor: Bria Arline
- Weekly School Work Load at Home: 5 hours
- For schedule, location, and all applicable fees, please visit our Schedule and Pricing page
- Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin (Penguin Classics) – Purchase Online: Amazon
- Evangeline and Other Poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Dover) – Purchase Online: Amazon
- The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne (Penguin Classics) – Purchase Online: Amazon
- Billy Budd by Herman Melville (Penguin) – Purchase Online: Amazon
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave by Frederick Douglass (Dover) – Purchase Online: Amazon
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Barnes and Noble) – Purchase Online: Barnes and Noble
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London, (Dover): Purchase Online – Amazon
- White Fang by Jack London, Dover Thrift Edition: Purchase Online – Amazon
- The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane (Dover) – Purchase Online: Amazon
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Harper Perennial Modern Classics) – Purchase Online: Amazon
American Literature will introduce students to the people and works formed by and that in turn shaped American culture. From Puritans writings to that of Harper Lee, students will analyse texts founded in the American experience, with the view of discovering “whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable…” in our national literary canon.
Students will read selected works and answer accompanying discussion questions. In-class activities include biblical application, grammar and vocabulary reinforcement, and interactive discussions based on the previous week’s reading. Students will also complete critical analysis and creative writing assignments.